The Pros and Cons of Same-Day CEREC Crowns
If you’ve ever gotten a crown from a dentist in Portland, OR, you know it requires several visits. What if we told you there are now same-day crowns, would you be interested? We’re guessing you said yes—who wouldn’t? But just like anything else, it’s good to weigh the pros and cons of Same-Day CEREC Crowns before making any decisions.
What Are Same-Day CEREC Crowns?
CERC stands for Chairside Economical Restoration of Esthetic Ceramic. This type of crown is made using a fairly new type of technology. It uses computer-aided design and manufacturing to produce them.
Your dentist will scan your mouth with 3D imaging software. This scan goes directly to another machine in your dentist’s office. That machine then creates your crown by carving it out of a ceramic block. The dentist will then install your new crown and you’re ready to go.
What Are the Pros and Cons of Same-Day CEREC Crowns?
Here are the pros and cons of Same-Day CEREC Crowns in Portland, OR.
- No waiting. Your new crown will be produced and installed within a matter of hours.
- No need for a temporary crown.
- Less expensive because you won’t have to pay for a temporary crown.
- You won’t have to experience the discomfort of a temporary crown.
- No chance of a temporary crown loosening and coming off.
- Same-Day CEREC crowns last 10-15 years and sometimes up to 20-30 years if they are properly cared for.
- Not as strong as other crowns. Porcelain crowns that are fused to metal crowns tend to be stronger.
- If your tooth is cracked below the gumline, the CEREC camera has a hard time capturing the image properly. In this case, your dentist might recommend a traditional crown instead.
Contact a Dentist in Portland, OR
If you want more information about Same-Day CEREC crowns in Portland, OR, please Contact City Dental today. We look forward to serving you!